Your lucky if you’re device gets an official CyanogenMod ROM for itself. The AT&T Galaxy S2 Skyrocket is a well known variant of Samsung Galaxy S2. The CyanogenMod 9 ROM based on Android Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 is now available for the device and due course of this article we’ll be covering up the process for same. CM9 is an well known ROM which is based on Android ICS, comes with lots of stuff and stability. The ROM is launched unofficial port. Special thanks to the developer topprospect from the Cyanogenmod team. The ROM is in early stages so should have a few bugs/issues.
- On boot, you may get a pop-up asking for “SIM network unlock PIN”. Just press Cancel.
- “Use only 2G networks” option in Settings does not work
- Changing “Preferred network mode” in Settings may not work
- Sporadic graphics glitches exist (e.g. lock screen, rotation in Messages, when typing in a wi-fi password, etc)
- Touch screen can lock up; ignores touch input but physical and capacitive buttons works; requires reboot
- In-call audio is too soft
- In-call audio may be killed by turning GPS off (unclear exactly what is going on here)
- Camera does not work at all
- USB mounting of SD cards is broken
- Cannot wake from charging while powered off
- Battery stats in Settings do not work
Read on to know how you can install CM9 ROM on your AT&T Skyrocket.
Note: The update has not been released by the company, and has been ported to the device through the recovery mode. Warranty of your mobile phone will be voided upon the flashing of the ROM, but can be retained using the STOCK FIRMWARE.
All the steps mentioned here are not for beginners who don’t have information about Custom ROMs, firmwares and Flashing. Don’t try any of these things on your device if you don’t know about all these things. Trying these things on an wrong manner can brick the device.
- The Steps mentioned here are for the AT&T Skyrocket.
- Backup all of your SMS Messages using SMS Backup application, Sync all the contacts with the Gmail Application, take backup of call logs, Internet APN Settings and all important things that you’ve installed on your device.
- Copy all the notes manually to somewhere else as they will be deleted upon the flashing of the ROM.
- Battery should be completely charged.
- AT&T Skyrocket Device drivers should be installed on your Computer
Disclaimer (Core Tech SG)
We cannot be held responsible for any damage that is caused to your device by taking wrong step which is an very unlike event if you follow all of our mentioned instructions carefully. Proceed at your own risks.
How To Install CM9 ROM on your AT&T Skyrocket
- You must use the touch enabled CWM recovery to install this ROM on your phone. Use this guide to install touch CWM on your Skyrocket.
- Download the ROM from – HERE.
- Download Google Apps package - GAAPS.
- Transfer the two downloaded .zip file to the SD card.
- Switch off the device and boot it CWM recovery. To do so, Press and Hold Volume UP + Volume Down +Power Button for device to turn on itself.
- Do a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM so you can always restore it from recovery if something gets wrong.
- Perform a wipe on your device. To do that, select “wipe data/factory reset” then select “YES”. After that go to “advanced” and select “wipe dalvik cache” and confirm by selecting “YES”.
- Now, select “Install zip from sdcard” then “choose zip from sdcard” and find the file that you had transferred to your device in Step 2 and select the same.
- Now, wait for the installation to get completed.
- After the ROM is installed go to the main recovery menu.
- Then repeat step 8 but this time select the Google apps package file gapps-ics-20120317-signed.zip to install the Google apps package.
- After the installation is complete, go back and select “reboot system now”.
Congo! You’ve successfully installed the latest CM9 ROM on your AT&T Skyrocket . If you didn’t get luck with this, let us know in the comments so we can turn you lucky. .